The last thing you expect when crossing the street, especially when you are lawfully inside of the crosswalk, is to be hit by a car. You have no bodily protection when you are walking, such as a safety belt and the body of a car surrounding you, so the likelihood of serious injuries is high. You may not realize the extent of injuries until days, and even weeks, after the accident. It is a good idea to consult with a West Virginia personal injury lawyer before too much time passes and details of the accident become vague.
You might need rehabilitation of an injury, and some people even lose time from work. Medical expenses, especially when there is a serious or life-threatening injury, can add up quickly. If you are hit by a car in a crosswalk, there are several important pieces of information you should gather. The more information that you can collect, the better you will increase your chances of being able to file a lawsuit and ensure appropriate compensation for your injuries.
Steps to Take and Information to Gather
- The driver’s auto insurance and contact information.
- The license plate number of the vehicle, and the make and model of the car.
- Call the police to make a police report. You will want a copy of the report.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident (most people can snap pics with their cell phones). Get contact information for witnesses in case you need witness statements.
- Document expenses related to the accident.
- Keep copies of the medical records pertaining to your pedestrian crosswalk accident.
In addition to this vital information, there are steps you need to take to ensure that your claim for compensation is validated.
- Seek medical attention immediately after the accident. Waiting to seek medical attention too long after an accident can negatively impact your claim for compensation for injuries, as you will need to prove the injuries were related to the pedestrian crosswalk accident.
- Contact an experienced attorney who can help you file your claim.
We Are Here to Help
If you or a loved one was injured by a driver whose car hit you when you were legally in the crosswalk, time is of the essence. While life would have been easier if the accident had never occurred, a West Virginia personal injury lawyer can make sure that you make it through this tough time knowing that you will receive compensation for your injuries. Contact or call Brewer & Giggenbach today, (800) 355-9646.